Friday, November 23, 2012

The Alchemist on Realization


I was so excited to find this because this is exactly why I changed the name of my blog from "A Day Without Laughter is a Day Wasted" to "A Day Without Realization is a Day Wasted" The word Realization is fascinating in its different meanings, the two I play around with are so deeply meaningful. 

To stumble across or accept some new bit of knowledge or to make something happen. 

A conversation between a boy who dreams of going to the pyramids and a man who dreamed of going to Mecca:

 “Well, why don’t you go to Mecca now?” asked the boy. 

“Because it’s the thought of Mecca that keeps me alive. That’s what helps me face these days that are all the same, these mute crystals on the shelves, and lunch and dinner at that same horrible cafĂ©. I’m afraid that if my dream is realized, I’ll have no reason to go on living. 

You dream about your sheep and the Pyramids, but you’re different from me, because you want to realize your dreams. I just want to dream about Mecca. I’ve already imagined a thousand times crossing the desert, arriving at the Plaza of the Sacred Stone, the seven times I walk around it before allowing myself to touch it. I’ve already imagined the people who would be at my side, and those in front of me, and the conversations and prayers we would share. But I’m afraid that it would all be a disappointment, so I prefer just to dream about it.” 


-The Alchemist

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's A Good Thing I Exist