Thursday, April 18, 2013

Don't Wait. Just MOVE!


So it's finals week... and naturally I feel the need to blog instead of study...

ANYway...

Another Lesson From Climbing Rocks

I was climbing the other day and learned another great lesson from a great hobby.

First you have to understand that climbing is great because climbing is a puzzle. You can only use certain holds to get up and you have to use them right or it may end up being unnecessarily hard! As you improve you get better at spotting your next hold or where to put your feet and you spend less and less time hesitating.

That's what I was thinking about last time I was doing a climb. There are times where I get to a place and then I know how to make next move but once I finish mapping it out (which can take only half a second) I still hesitate. I don't even know what I'm waiting for. I know I can get my foot up or my hand over because I've done it a hundred times on other climbs but for some reason I just sit for another few seconds and waste my energy gripping to a hold that's not gonna get me any higher unless I push off of it and MOVE.

So now when I get in that situation I think "Stopping thinking and MOVE!"

It's not that I shouldn't think, that will also get me stuck but once I get it figured out, check out my options and know where to go, it's just a waste of precious energy to not move.

And then I realized that that's how I live my life.

I plan SO carefully. Every option (plausible or not) is found, assessed, anticipated. And then I hesitate to move. What am I afraid of? Failing? I've failed many times before and it's never killed me! The proverbial rope always catches and I swing catching my breath from the latest life lesson learned the hard way.

So I guess that's my new goal- stop hesitating. Give my decisions the proper amount of thought and then

MOVE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's A Good Thing I Exist