Thursday, October 31, 2013

Alright, back to business

Ok so I decided to do some writing to mission friends for this assignment! And then I tried journalling but this is more convenient right now! I've been just word vomiting this in 10 minute chunks for the past few days so I think it's time to wrap it up:

I'm in my Stats class and I'm bored, probably not because I understand things better than anyone else but more because I'm tired.

Today I thought I would write about the debate going on about women receiving the priesthood in the LDS church, more to make a record of my thoughts to look back on later than anything else.

When I first heard that this question was being raised I was extremely irritated. Not at the question but because the arguments I heard in favor of women with the priesthood were a little embarrassing. I came across a lot of false assumptions and putting words in God's mouth. For example, arguments such as "God wouldn't want me sitting in the back row while men were able to participate and make a difference" or "women need to be considered just as important as men and receiving the priesthood would be a big step" were statements that made me cringe. The priesthood is important but it is not the only important thing in the church.

But then I looked at some arguments against women being given the priesthood and felt equally embarrassed. "I think of the roles of men and women are not exactly the same but equally important in Heavenly Father's plan: women have the gift of bringing human spirits into this world, and men have the gift of bringing those spirits back to God." I agree that men and women are different and make different contributions to the world but defining these roles is extremely difficult. Referring to "The Family: A Proclamation to the World" a document written and released by the first presidency and apostles of the LDS church in 1995 there are certain roles that men and women tend to fill. I am NOT talking about the man in a business suit or the woman in the kitchen. I'm talking about how "fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families. Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children." 

Mothers are more commonly sensitive to their child's needs and fathers are more commonly able to provide protection and stability for the family. Is this always true? From someone who often visits the homes of broken (in many ways) families, no. Sometimes it's dad who is able to nurture a child through a stressful experience and sometimes mom has to provide for and protect her family. Whether it is attributed to societal norms or genetic disposition, mothers and father do fulfill different needs. HOWEVER, a mother's main contribution is not made at birth. It is made in every moment of the child's life for their entire life. Ideally, dad is also present for the birth and while he didn't carry the baby for nine months he is also expected to fulfill the role of a father, whether he has the priesthood or not. There is no comparison between the two roles because they were not designed to be compared. Comparing is something human beings made out of their insecurities, it is my belief that God is above that. God discerns instead of compares. 

Anyway, then my thoughts took me to the blessings of the priesthood. It is true that a worthy priesthood holder can give blessings of comfort, healing and administering of the sacrament. I got a little hung up here until I realized that I have had just as many women sit across from me and speak the word of God as I have had men lay their hands on my head and say what God would have them say. I have begun to personally define the priesthood, not to make it more convenient for my life but to apply it to my life.

This is not the end of my thoughts but I should probably post something so my professor can see that I am writing everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's A Good Thing I Exist