Monday, September 22, 2014

Running a 5k!

The funny thing about being married is that you have someone there to help you stick to your goals.

Which means if you make a goal out loud... they will make sure you stick with it... even if one day you decide you don't want that goal anymore... because you're lazy...

I had decided that I want to get in shape. Jeff loves the idea of being healthy because it means your body will last longer! You can have good quality of life and you can have it when you're young and old! I like that idea... until I'm tired and lazy!

I told Jeff I wanted to run more and I started a couch to 5k program! It's been great! It pushes you but takes things one bit at a time so after 8 weeks you're running 35 minutes without stopping. A few weeks in Jeff came to me with a 5k that was happening at his school for research on the early detection of cancer. Just like most people, I've seen the effects of cancer of all kinds and was completely happy at the idea of contributing the money! And then there was the 5k...

The app I use!


This race fell 6 weeks into my 8 week 5k program so I knew I wasn't ready. For most people this is no big deal but those who know me well know that I have NEVER been into running! Short sprints at the most and that's mainly if something scary is coming after me (like a bee). In those cases I suddenly have the power too move at great speeds until said flying piece of nasty has ceased to follow me. But if there is no danger then there is no magical power!

So my goal for is 5k was not speed but endurance! I just wanted to not stop along the way! And after some mental games, some music and most importantly, some encouragement from my incredible husband, I did it! I didn't stop the entire time and while I was going at a pretty leisurely pace I finished it in 31 minutes and 8 seconds!

Here's to having husbands who make you stick to your goals! Now the goal is to get a faster 5k :)




1 comment:

  1. I have an amazing wife! She pretty well beat me at the 5k! What an animal! :)

    ReplyDelete

It's A Good Thing I Exist