Thursday, September 19, 2013

A Godly Debate

http://www.upworthy.com/a-debate-between-an-atheist-and-a-christian-has-quite-a-surprising-result

The above link should take you to a debate between an atheist comedian and christian comedian.

I love this little debate. It's the only debate I've seen in quite a while that I really enjoyed! No mudslinging, no disrespect (more about their own sides than each other's) and of course the jokes along the way are great. I've only watched it twice and am in Stats so I can't listen to it right now but I'll sum up what I remember:

The debate itself is only about 7 minutes long but some great points are discussed.

1) It's possible to have two very different beliefs but still exist together. Just don't be a "dick" about it.

2) Both christian and atheist beliefs have a spectrum within themselves. There are fundamentalist christians and fundamentalist atheists. These are the groups that were given credit for causing the greatest disruption.

3) I enjoyed the idea expressed that we don't even know the Christ that we worship. Yesterday a friend told me that his religion professor shared a different interpretation of the scripture where Jesus tells the Pharisees and Sadducees to search the scriptures. Apparently if you take it back to the original translation, He's actually telling them to get their noses OUT of the scriptures and get to know Him. I love that. Because this is my blog and I can articulate things the way I want to I will say: I am tired of the eagerness to show everyone how much we know about the scriptures. Show me how well you know Christ by acting like Him.

4) I loved how the person expressing the atheist point of view very casually states that if God appeared right then he would just apologize and accept that he was wrong. Is that not what God is looking for? Humility? He is not determined to shut God out but has tried his best and can't quite fathom God's actual existence. His explanation is great "I tried to help people, I didn't know if you were real." and then he points out that God is hopefully not a sociopath. I believe that God wants us to find Him not because He needs more attention but because He has so much to offer us if we work with Him.

God is great!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's A Good Thing I Exist