Friday, September 20, 2013

Another Discussion on God

I get a lot of opportunities at work to talk about God (with my co-workers, not with the youth). This morning my friend Amanda and I were working together and one of the teachers came in just to chat and see who was on the unit. He's 26 and has 3 kids and I can't even tell you how crazy I think that is.

Anyway, we got talking about how having difference religious beliefs in marriage can make things really hard. His wife is fundamentalist christian and he was LDS but is now atheist/agnostic. We started talking about our experience with God and what He means to us. I love these discussions.

He is really smart and feels that everything has an explanation and desire evidence for things in order to believe in it. Obviously that's going to cause some problems in terms of believing in God since substantial evidence is hard to come by. He has been labeled as "too smart for your own good" (in my opinion a cop out label given to him by people who are too afraid to admit that science and religion can very much exist in the same sphere. Just yesterday I attended a lecture about the many crossroads in history between science and religion. They have always existed together and always will.

I feel like I am getting better at articulating my feelings about God but it is always a little difficult since God is pretty dang complex. I reminisced on my own experiences struggling with God and who He was. I went through my doubting stage and asked questions. And then did this crazy thing where He answered! We should never be afraid to doubt because doubting breads curiosity, curiosity breeds questions and questions give the answer a chance to materialize.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's A Good Thing I Exist