Thursday, September 5, 2013

ENGL 312

So BYU has been making my life super hard lately and I today I won what will hopefully be my last battle for a while.

Since I'll be really busy with work I needed a class schedule that not only put my classes at the right times but... gave me the right amount of work... so... very little...

I had to sign up for an English class and after finding a few classes that would fulfill the requirement I emailed every professor telling them that this class was the ONLY class that I could fit into my schedule. I assumed that at least someone would let me skip the whole WaitList process and I was right! I had 2 or 3 teachers just let my into their classes.

And then I found Persuasive Writing with Jeffrey Windsor

He did not immediately add me but his ratemyprofessor reviews were awesome and it was at a really great time I thought I'd check it out. On day one he says there are no tests, just papers. He understands this class is just a general. Writing assignments will not be crazy. You do not need the textbook. The final paper will basically write itself. 

I needed this class. 

After class I went and talked to him about adding me and he said he probably could but he'd have to wait and see. 

Meanwhile, after some schedule shifting at work there was one other class that I could take that was at a slightly less convenient time but was more applicable to my major. Something about Writing in Social Sciences. Whatever. I didn't go to that class, assuming that I could make it into Persuasive Writing and then got a mass email that started like this:

Dear Best Students in the World (But Not of the World),

After encountering a somewhat rocky start today, I wanted to clarify a few things and sooth your minds a little. I got some feedback that I might have made this class seem too intimidating today. So first I want to remind you that you are made for this class. You know much more than you think you do about good writing, and I believe you will surprise yourselves with how much you improve throughout the semester. I will be like a coach for you as we start small with short, simpler assignments, and we will gradually build our proverbial writing muscles until we are lean, mean writing machines!

I immediately knew that I needed to get into Persuasive Writing or my life would surely end.

After stressing a bunch about it I went to the class today and he let me in! YAY! So much stress gone.

But as part of his class I have to read about 20 minutes everyday and write for about 10. Thus this post with more text than usual and no pictures. I will be writing every day for the next semester. So you may get a whole bunch of nothing but I will get 100% on this assignment!

I am exhausted. Time for nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's A Good Thing I Exist